November 20, 2020
Vietnam Entry Permit For Visitors from Taiwan During the Covid-19 Season
Vietnam shares a close trade relationship with Taiwan. In 2019, the bilateral trade between the two countries reached US$16 billion and this keeps on increasing year by year. So now that Vietnam is slowly opening up after closing the borders due to the Covid-19 pandemic, it just makes sense why the Taiwanese are among the first visitors that the Vietnam authorities will welcome into the country. Right now, Vietnam is allowing the entry of Taiwanese nationals but only if their purpose of the visit is essential. The only visitors who are eligible for entry are businessmen, investors, experts, highly skilled workers, diplomats, and their family members.
Entry Approval and Visa Issuance for Foreign Visitors from Taiwan
In order to allow the entry of foreign experts who will come to Vietnam to work, while still maintaining the safety from Covid 19, the Vietnamese authorities have laid out special procedures for entry to Vietnam, which all visitors are obliged to follow. In addition, all visitors must apply for a visa for entry because the visa exemption will not apply at the moment.
The company that will sponsor the Taiwanese visitor will also be responsible to apply for a permit for entry. They must request the entry permit from the Provincial People’s Committee. Not only that, they must arrange for a quarantine facility because the visitor will be asked to go on a 14-day quarantine upon arrival.
Procedures for Entry of Foreign Visitors During Covid-19
Below are the procedures for the entry of foreign visitors into Vietnam during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Foreign workers or investors who plan on entering Vietnam must coordinate with their company before flying into the country. The sponsor company will then send a letter of request to the People’s Committee of the province where the company is based in Vietnam. For example, if the company is based in Ho Chi Minh, then the company should send a letter of request to the People’s Committee of Ho Chi Minh.
- If the request is approved, the People’s Committee will issue an entry approval and the provincial Department of Health will also issue a quarantine approval.
- Next, the Vietnam sponsor company will send an application for an entry permit to the Immigration Department. This is request is necessary for the visa of the foreign visitor to be approved.
- Before flying to Vietnam, all foreign visitors must get tested for Covid-19 via a Real-time PCR test. The test should be taken at least 3 to 7 days before the flight to Vietnam. It’s also important that an authorized laboratory in Taiwan will administer the test.
- When foreign visitors arrive in Vietnam, they will undergo a medical test at the airport. This is to check if they have any symptoms of Covid-19. If they don’t show any symptoms, they can go out of the airport and proceed to their quarantine facility.
- The sponsor company should arrange for a private vehicle that would pick-up the foreign visitor from the airport. Taking public transportation is not allowed. The visitor should immediately proceed to its assigned quarantine facility.
- During quarantine, the visitor will be tested at least twice for Covid-19.
Responsibilities of the Airlines
The airline company that will fly the foreign visitor from Taiwan to Vietnam is also required to check if the visitor is eligible for entry into the country. If the visitor does not have the necessary documents for entry, the airline has the right to refuse the passenger. In general, these are the documents that foreign visitors entering Vietnam must have:
- A passport that’s valid for at least six months from the date of entry.
- Copy of the approval letter coming from the local People’s Committee.
- Approval from the local Health Department.
- Hotel confirmation for the quarantine. The booking must be at least 14 days. It should include a pick-up transport service from the airport to the hotel.
- Travel insurance that includes coverage for Covid-19 treatment.
- Commitment letter from the sponsor company stating that they will shoulder any extra cost of medication in case the visitor ends up with the Covid-19 disease.
- Approval from Vietnam’s Immigration Department.
- Covid-19 test certificate showing a negative result. The test must be performed by an approved lab in Taiwan and was taken 5 to 7 days prior to traveling to Vietnam.
All the documents mentioned above must be secured before flying to Vietnam. The airline representative in Taiwan must make sure to check this before allowing the passenger to board the flight.
Take note that Vietnam is still not allowing leisure travel at the moment. All passengers who will come to Vietnam as tourists will be denied. Only foreign experts, investors, and diplomats will be allowed. If they are bringing a family member, the person must also have all the documents stated above.